A reflective essay provides us with a chance to think about ourselves. While writing the reflective essay, we try to get an idea of who we are and how we are changed. The format of a reflective essay is that a writer tries to examine his or her experience in life and tries to explore this experience. Moreover, he also tries to explore how he has grown himself. Students are asked to write reflective essays not only at the school or college level but also at the university level. Here, we will provide some essential tips to the master level students how to write a reflective essay.
Tips to prewrite a reflective essay
The first stage of the writing is known as prewriting. Some essential tips for prewriting a reflective essay are given below;
Think of a topic to write about
In most of the cases, you are asked to write a reflective essay at the masters level by adopting your topic idea. Therefore, you should try to select such experience or life event for the reflective essay that is easy to explain in your words. Moreover, you should have enough arguments and supporting material for this life event or experience.
Keep a written record
To write a reflective essay, it is necessary for you to keep a record of all the events and supporting material that you are going to explain in your essay. In order to keep a record of these events and supporting material, you can keep a journal or a diary.
Reflect on your notes
After selecting the life experience or event that you want to write in your reflective essay, you should try to spend at least twenty minutes on free writing. During freewriting, you should try to write all the ideas that are coming to your mind. While freewriting, there is no need to worry about grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes.
Develop a thesis statement
Now, its time to develop a thesis statement for your essay. This thesis statement is the most important component of your reflective essay. Its reason is that you will have to explain the points of this thesis statement in your reflective essay.
Tips to create an outline for your reflective essay
After prewriting, you should try to create an outline for your reflective essay. This outline will be helpful to you to follow a specific structure while creating content for your essay. Some essential tips to create an outline for your reflective essay are given below;
- First of all, you should format your outline. You can format your outline either in the form of Roman numerals or Arabic numerals. This outline format will be helpful to you to clearly understand the thought process of your reflective essay.
- You should try to write the main points of your essay by using these numerals. While presenting the main points of your essay, you should keep in mind the uniform structure of the essay.
- With the help of this outline, you should make sure that you can easily create fluency in your essay.
Tips to write a reflective essay
After creating an outline, you will get a roadmap for creating the best content for your reflective essay. Some essential tips to write a reflective essay are given below;
- First of all, you should clarify what you are thinking. Its reason is that while creating interesting and intriguing content for your reflective essay, it is necessary for you to adopt sound thinking and expressing skills. Moreover, it is also necessary for you to explain the main points of your essay in a clear way.
- While writing other kinds of essays, you are not allowed to use the first persons. Anyhow, while writing a reflective essay, you are allowed to use the first persons because this essay revolves around you.
- While writing the reflective essay, it is also necessary for you to use past sentences. Its reason is that in the reflective essay, you are going to explore that past event which is happened in the past.
- While writing a reflective essay, it is also necessary for you to make sure that you are following professional structure and format. Moreover, you should also ensure consistency between all the sentences and paragraphs of your reflective essay.
After completing the first draft of the reflective essay, it is necessary for you to proofread and edit it and try to remove all the mistakes from your essay. For proofreading and editing of your reflective essay, you can also send it to the experts of the essay writing services. Their expert writers will remove all the mistakes from your essay and they will also tell you about the quality of your essay.